To the editor:
Who
among us has not driven by a lawn sign for a despised candidate and not
wished to stop and yank it out of the ground? But I remind myself that
if I can do it, so could
opponents of the candidates I support. So I restrain myself. Laura C.
Ebert is rightfully charged for the misdemeanor of petit larceny for
stealing two campaign signs in Rosendale, but she should also be charged
for damaging the fabric of society. It will
be interesting to compare how SUNY New Paltz will react to her action
as compared to how it reacted to the racist remarks of Professor Gerald
Benjamin about the African American who ran for Congress in the 19th district. Although Mr. Benjamin didn’t
steal any object, he, like Ms. Ebert, damaged the fabric of our society. Some people believed that it should have led to a stronger reaction from SUNY New Paltz, despite Mr. Benjamin’s apology. Will
the fact that he is higher up in the college hierarchy than this adjunct make a difference?
Andi Weiss Bartczak
Publishing history: Daily Freeman: November 21, 29018
No comments:
Post a Comment