Don’t cruise through the election on November 7th thinking it isn’t very important, saving yourself for a bigger impact in 2018. Know this: whether to have a New York State Constitutional Convention is a decision we will all materially live with for the next 20 years. I am against it. I hope I can persuade you that we must vote “NO”.
The Constitutional Convention would be an” Open Agenda”. That means the delegates could go through the whole constitution and change any pesky elements it pleases, like collective bargaining rights or previously agreed to union pensions. Lest you think I am a recipient of such things, I am not, always having worked in the profoundly non-profit sector.
If a Constitutional Convention is convened what will it cost and who will pay for it? You will. Lower estimates put it at approximately $300 million. Delegates will be selected from all over the state and receive a stipend of $80,000 a year for their trouble. It is expected to take at least three years. There is, as far as I can tell, there’s no estimate of the cost of having a staff, or travel or paper clips, yet.
We already have a process in place by which we can change any of the elements that need changing in the NYS constitution. It is called the NYS Legislature, through the amendment process. Not perfect but, they would have a harder time taking your pension. So don’t skip this election;wouldn’t be prudent.
Sincerely,
Susan Denton
Publishing history
New Paltz News
No comments:
Post a Comment