Thursday, February 14, 2019

Letter to the editor Sherrill Silver

There are many misconceptions and much misinformation around the proposed New York Health Act, which I’d like to clear up. I have had experience as a health care professional, as an employee of companies that helped with my health insurance cost, and as being unemployed and trying to find my own insurance.  What I have learned from reading the proposed bill and listening to discussion makes me very excited that this could come to pass and the residents of NY would all have comprehensive health insurance at a modest cost.  

The proposed bill will eliminate the two tier system which affords great care for some and little-to-no care for others. Many young people I know have jobs which do not offer health insurance, and they go without it because the cost is prohibitive. Some indigent people have Medicaid, so they have insurance, but the quality is poor. There are some who are happy with their current plans, but in my experience they are in the minority.  I, for one, am currently on Medicare, and have monthly premiums, deductibles, and copays, and no coverage for vision or dental, not a great deal from where I sit, and I’m currently healthy. The new proposal will provide comprehensive care (Including long-term care) for people of all ages; it is a great improvement on the current Medicare. 

When insurance companies are taken out of the picture, there will be a single-payer system, which will streamline the processing of care and reimbursement to providers.  

Costs will be lower for most individuals, the range of services available will be improved, and the balance will actually be savings for the state, as there are not profiteering companies involved, drug prices will be negotiated, and doctors can be providing care rather than dealing with insurance companies. Prof. Gerald Friedman’s calculations with the UMass Economics Department’s assistance show that New York would SAVE $71 billion a year. 

There is a job re-training plan already in place for those displaced from their jobs with the insurance companies. 
This is a Win-Win plan. The updated bill (including coverage for long-term care) will be released Monday Feb. 11 so watch your newspaper for details.  

Please go to NYHcampaign.org for more information. 

Publishing history:

New Paltz Times: 2/14/19

No comments:

Post a Comment