Term Limits
I may have missed some, but I do not
recall EVER in the 40 or so years of my reading the paper seeing a
full-page ad (July 12th, page 3) -- especially a political one! -- in
the New Paltz Times (and its various predecessors).
From what I
have read, I believe that ReclaimNY has been founded – and is being
funded – by the Mercer family, together with Steve Bannon. Their goal
and aim is to create and support right-wing agendas, yet make them
appear like the most proper and beneficial thing for New York State
residents to support. True, we have freedom of speech, but because of
the background and activities of its financial backers, it is a
disruptive organization, one that we should not encourage to meddle in
local politics
As far as the content of the ad itself. I
think that if a mayor, a governor, a county or state legislator, a
congressmen – in other words ANY ELECTED official – does a good job
which constituents approve of: it is a good think to keep them on the
job until they are ready to leave, on their own, or get voted out of
office. After all, continuity promotes trust and can help bring useful
initiatives to successful fruition.
However, I strongly
believe that APPOINTED officials, such as court justices and ESPECIALLY
Supreme court justices, ought to have a term limit. While a mayor may
continue his team’s work and agenda over several years, the Supreme
Court has not even remotely such mandate. It deals with individual
legal cases, on a case-by-case basis, although it at times refers to
older decisions, as its members’ political leanings dictate them. We
would do well to start campaigning for the Justices’ term limits!
Publishing history:
New Paltz Times 7-19-18
No comments:
Post a Comment